Background

Wednesday 1 October 2014

Tamarind Hill, Singapore

This is one of the best experiences I've had in Singapore.

The best thing about Tamarind Hill... the food, decor and hospitality are all impeccable, but the DESERT was my favourite. More on that to come...

The most troubling thing about Tamarind Hill: finding the place! I made the mistake of catching the MTR to the Labrador station - it looks pretty close on the map! However after walking around for a while, making a few calls to my Husband who was already sitting there waiting for me (he had caught an Uber taxi there, and he and the driver had also explored the area for a while before getting lucky). I finally asked some taxi drivers who were standing around - they didn't know where it was, but they were convinced it wasn't walking distance, so I jumped in the cab with one of them and we went hunting for my dinner. At first he dropped me off at the back kitchen door (where I was refused entrance :-)) so he kindly drove me another 40 meters or so around the front, and then watched me walk inside before he drove off. It really was a strange experience getting there, but as soon as I stepped inside it was all worth it.

Tamarind Hill is an old colonial building, with extensive verandahs and an impressive central bar with piqued roof. Everything is white with small details and quirks to be found around every corner. The beautiful hardwood floors creak with each step, and the law lighting creates a perfectly ambient mood. The lemongrass cocktail waiting for me on arrival was the perfect welcome before we moved out to sit on the wide verandah and enjoy the Singapore breeze.



The vegetarian menu was quite extensive. There was a page of options, all Thai curry style, and beautifully presented. We stared with rice paper rolls with apple and mint. These were fresh, and I'd say just fine. The menu description had my mouth watering for them, but actually without the sweet chilli they would have been left wanting. But we had a treat in store for our mains.


Lush green beans, chunky tofu and creamy curry never go amiss in my books! We enjoyed a red and a green curry, served with garlic rice and a beautiful white wine. We ate Chinese style, from shared bowls across pressed white linen napery, and the hostess was readily on hand to replenish our fresh rice stocks. Even seeing these photos again takes me back to the warm embrace of the food coma that I was enjoying - not because we were too full or the food was too heavy, but simply because the aromas lulled me into a mid-week relax. Tamarind Hill is known for its beautiful spas around the region too, with a new location opening in Singapore soon. Simply sitting on that wonderful verandah, drinking in the atmosphere and enjoying the subtle spices gave me a sense that this team takes relaxation seriously, down to every little design detail.



Bust as mentioned, desert was the final touch on an already fantastic evening. We ordered a mango dish which was nice, but by comparison to the pink diamond, it simply didn't stand up. I ordered the pink diamond mostly because of the name to be honest, and I was happily surprised to find out that it's a small pink fruit, which I'd describe as a mix between a lychee and a water chestnut. It has crunch and sweetness, and left Mr Lamb and I politely elbowing each other out of the little cup it was served in. 


Once you know where you're going, Tamarind Hill is simply one of the best dining experiences in Singapore. The waitstaff were personal, invisible at all the right times, and had a casualness to them which made the whole concept feel real. I'll certainly be going again - a new favourite, and with so many cousin restaurants around asia to visit too!

Add: 30 Labrador Villa Rd, Singapore
Tel: +65 6278 6364

No comments:

Post a Comment